Jennifer D. Sims has a diverse practice that primarily focuses on litigation. She has experience handling EEOC charges and employment-related lawsuits, including discrimination, retaliation, and wage/hour claims, as well as contract disputes. Mrs. Sims also regularly advises clients on day-to-day employment matters, including personnel policies, classification and leave issues, and updates to employee handbooks.
Jennifer is an editor for BLR’s HR Hero Mississippi Employment Law Letter and has authored employment law articles pertaining to Mississippi employment law for HR Professionals Magazine.
Prior to joining the firm, Mrs. Sims was a partner at a Louisiana law firm, where her practice focused on employment, municipal, and construction matters, including her serving as the City Attorney for a Louisiana municipality. Jennifer also has experience with medical malpractice medical review panels and lawsuits and law enforcement liability claims, and she has also served as an adjunct instructor of sports law at Louisiana State University’s E.J. Ourso College of Business.
Jennifer is AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated and was named a “Rising Star” by Louisiana Super Lawyers 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Member of Federal, Fifth Circuit, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Baton Rouge Bar associations
- Omicron Delta Kappa, member
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Moot Court Board, volunteer judge
- Parkview Baptist School Board of Directors, member, 2013-2016 (also member of Executive Committee and Advancement Committee)
- March of Dimes, board member and secretary, 2009-2013
- Adult Literacy Advocates, board member, 2010-2011
- Junior Achievement, board member, 2008-2012
- Parkview Baptist Church Preschool Committee, member, 2011-2013
- Baton Rouge Bar Association Law Expo Committee, member, 2010
- Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center Fight Cancer Campaign, ambassador, 2009
- Junior Achievement, teaching volunteer, 2007-2010
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Named a “Rising Star” by Louisiana Super Lawyers 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Labor & Employment
- Paul M. Hebert Law School, Louisiana State University, J.D., B.C.L., 2007; member of Jessup International Law Moot Court Team and American Association of Justice National Student Trial Team; CALI award for highest grade in Labor Law
- Louisiana State University, B.S., Accounting, magna cum laude, 2004
Admitted to practice in all Mississippi and Louisiana state courts; Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi; Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana; and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- ‘Management Update Briefing”, an update on Labor and Employment Law, Baton Rouge, LA, May 2015
- “Management Update Briefing”, an update on Labor and Employment Law, Baton Rouge, LA, April 2014
- “Management Update Briefing”, an update on Labor and Employment Law, Baton Rouge, LA, October 2013
- “Management Update Briefing”, an update on Labor and Employment Law, Baton Rouge, LA, April 2013
- “Staying Out of Trouble with the Wage & Hour Law”, update on Labor and Employment Law, Baton Rouge, LA, October 2012
- “Worker Classification Issues”, Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants, Shreveport Chapter, Shreveport, LA, August 2012
- “2012’s HR Hot Topics!”, Greater New Orleans Society For Healthcare Human Resources, Metairie, LA, May 2012